Pitbull and J Balvin earn the week’s highest debut on the Hot Latin Songs chart (dated April 1), bowing at No. 5 with “Hey Ma,” featuring Camila Cabello, from The Fate of the Furious soundtrack (due April 14). The entrance marks Pitbull’s highest debut ever on the multi-metric chart (which combines airplay, sales,and streams) of his 37 total chart entries, while Balvin matches his previous best (“Ginza” arrived at No. 5 in 2015). It’s Cabello’s first hit on the chart.
The majority of points helping the debut come from streams and song sales, with less than 2 percent stemming from airplay. The track arrives with 14,000 downloads sold in the week ending March 16, according to Nielsen Music, earning it a No. 1 start on the Latin Digital Song Sales chart, with the highest weekly sales figure since October 2015 (when Nicky Jam and Enrique Iglesias’ “El Perdon” sold just over 14,000 downloads). The chart-topping bow notches Balvin his first-ever No. 1 on the chart and Pitbull earns his fifth.
First-week streams total 3.2 million, with 54 percent stemming from YouTube plays. A music video, shot in Miami, has gathered 29 million global views on the platform through March 23, since being released on March 10.
‘Mexillennials’ Move In: On Top Latin Albums, a compilation of regional Mexican hits titled Mexillennials: Los Exitos de Una Nueva Generacion is the week’s top debut, arriving at No. 8 (2,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending March 16). The set features hits from the genre’s up-and-coming stars including Christian Nodal, Crecer German and Cheyo Carillo.
Of its total units earned, 31 percent comes from traditional album sales, while the remaining 69 percent stem from streaming equivalent albums (SEA) and track equivalent albums (TEA).
By Amaya Mendizabal
Courtesy of Billboard